Updated December 2019
Your privacy is important to Overseas BMW (referred to as “we” or “us” in this policy) and the purpose of this policy is to tell you what personal information we collect about you, how we use it, whether we disclose it to anybody else, how long we keep it, and how you can request access to your personal information or obtain more information about Overseas BMW privacy policies.
- To business partners, such as third party service providers, agents and affiliated entities in connection with the services that they perform for Overseas BMW.
- BMW Canada Inc., our related companies, including BMW Financial Services Canada.
- Law enforcement agencies for the purposes of investigating fraud or other offences.
- Legal, financial, and other professional advisors or in connection with the sale or reorganization of all or part of its business or operations.
Except as provided above, our dealership will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your implied or express consent, you will be notified of, and asked to consent to, the sharing of your personal information necessary for the provision of these requested features or services.
We are responsible for the personal information under our control and we have designated our General Sales Manager, who is responsible for our compliance with this policy and with privacy legislation. If you wish to contact our General Sales Manager, you can do one of the following:
- by telephone 519) 254-4303
- by email : email@example.com
- by mail : 9425 Tecumseh Rd E,
Windsor, ON N8R 1A1
What Personal Information do we collect?
When you purchase or lease a vehicle from us, or when you have us service or repair a vehicle or if you finance the purchase or lease of a vehicle through us or purchase or lease other products or services from or through us or if you participate in one of our surveys, contests, or promotions, or if you test drive one of our vehicles or contact our dealership staff, we may collect personal information.
Overseas BMW uses information gathered about users only for limited purposes permitted by law.
Provision of your Social Insurance Number is optional. However, you should be aware that most Credit Reporting Agencies use the Social Insurance Number as a unique identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing credit reports.
Our Anti-Spam Policy tolerates only permission-based email, subscription to emails or information requested to be provided through email or phone. We obtain your consent by asking you to choose to opt-out of our mailing list or opt-in. By checking the opt-in box when contacting us, through the forms available, you agree to be contacted by us for the purposes described in the Disclaimer. All emails sent to you will be compliant with CASL and include:
- The option to opt-in to receive communication for the purposes described in the Disclaimer
- The option to unsubscribe from receiving electronic communication from us as described here
How do we use your Personal Information?
Your personal information may be used by us to provide products and services to you such as:
- Delivery of Products and Services
- Processing applications for credit in respect of a lease or financing agreement.
- Registering you for and administering warranties, extended warranties and roadside assistance.
- Notifying you of service reminders, recalls and enhancements.
- Processing sales of accessories and merchandise.
- Administering billing for leasing or financing of vehicles or other products and services; and providing you with customer support services.
- Customer Relations
- Promoting our vehicles, products and services.
- Administering promotional contests.
- Responding to requests for product and service information.
- Providing you with newsletters and other promotional news about upcoming events or special offers.
- Administering customer satisfaction surveys.
- Assessing the effectiveness of our marketing programs.
- Improving our products and services.
- Developing a better understanding of your relationship with our retailers.
- Protecting Our Business and Fulfilling Our Legal Obligations
- Collecting overdue payments from you and other debt collection matters.
- Repossessing our vehicles if you are in default.
- Securing our business and websites.
- Investigating and protecting against fraud, grey-marketing or other illegal activities.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements, such as reporting obligations to the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada, complying with court orders, and responding to lawful police requests.
Sometimes we have to Share your Personal Information with Others
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of your personal information with third parties such as BMW Canada and related companies, the providers of products or services relating to your vehicle, credit reporting agencies, financial institutions or financing companies, your insurance agent or company and companies which provide or insure warranties relating to your vehicle. We may also disclose your personal information where we are required or permitted by law to do so. We collect personal information from you when you provide the information directly to us, such as when you contact us or when you enter your personal information on our website.
Like other companies, we share information with our affiliated companies, third-party service providers, BMW Canada, and certain business partners in order to conduct our business activities and to protect our rights.
How long do we keep your Personal Information?
Overseas BMW will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws.
What can you do if you want to limit the use to which we put your personal information?
Most of the personal information which we collect is necessary for us to sell or lease you your vehicle, to provide products and services related to the vehicle, assist you in the financing or lease of your vehicle or to provide service to your vehicle and we cannot do this without that personal information. Similarly, we must disclose your personal information as described above in order to sell you the vehicle, to provide products and services related to the vehicle, assist you in arrangements for financing or leasing or to provide servicing to your vehicle. If you do not want us to use or disclose your personal information in a particular way, please contact our General Manager as described above and we will be pleased to discuss with you how we can limit collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
How do we protect your Personal Information?
Overseas BMW is committed to protecting the personal information in our possession. We use administrative and technical controls, and require our service providers to take such measures, to help to maintain the security of your personal information. We have implemented security measures which include the use of: physical secure data centres and premise; internal security policies and procedures; defined internal segregation of duties; and electronic access controls such as passwords and encryption technology. However, please note that no system of protection can guarantee the protection of your personal information.
In addition, we encourage you to observe safe computing practices. It is your responsibility to keep confidential the user-ID and passwords that you use to register with us and not share them with anyone. If you believe that your user-ID and passwords have been compromised, contact Overseas BMW.
In certain parts where we require that you provide us with sensitive personal information such as credit card information, we will protect the security of your personal information during transmission by using industry standard encryption technology. Please only submit this sensitive information within a secure area where it may be specifically requested. Please do not send sensitive personal information via non-secure areas, including by email.
You can Request Access to Your Personal Information
You have a right to access the personal information which we have about you and to request that personal information which you believe to be inaccurate be corrected.
COOKIES AND INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING DISCLOSURE.
What kind of interest-based advertising do we conduct?
We participate in network advertising programs that display advertising about BMW on other unaffiliated websites. We customize and personalize this advertising to your interests based on information from your activities, such as the actions you take when you visit our websites and when visiting websites that display BMW advertising.
We use technologies such as cookies, web beacons, pixels and other technologies to collect information on how users navigate our website and respond to our promotional communications. When a user interacts with our website, “cookies” and other digital markers are used by us and by our third party service providers to collect information and to track user patterns. A cookie is a small text file which contains a unique identification number that identifies your browser, not you personally, to our computer each time you visit our website. A cookie can tell us which pages were visited and how often. We use this information in an effort to improve our website’s usefulness to you – primarily for technical reasons, such as providing seamless navigation. In addition, we may use website plugins (including third-party plugins) that store information in your local browser storage to assist with understanding website analytics. This information is cleared when you close your browser.
What third party service providers collect information on this website and what is the purpose of this collection?
Our third party service providers, including ad management providers, use third party cookies, web beacons, or other digital markers to help us to maintain and improve our websites and electronic communications, deliver interest-based advertising on this website and on other sites, and provide social plug-in functions. A list of service providers is available upon request.
Customized Social Media Ads
We may also use third-party social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to show you customized ads. To offer such ads, we may convert your email address, telephone number or other information into a unique value which can be matched by our partner social media company with a user on the social media platform. Although we do not provide any personal information to these platform vendors, they may gain insights about individuals who respond to the ads we serve. To opt out of customized social media ads, please use the links provided in the ad, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Why does Overseas BMW conduct interest-based advertising?
We believe that interest-based advertising that is tailored to your particular interests is more helpful and relevant to you. We use information collected about your interaction with our websites and other unaffiliated websites to understand our audiences and to improve your access to new products and services that are most relevant to your interests.
How can I opt-out of receiving interest-based advertising from BMW?
If you do not want to receive interest-based advertising on other websites or would like to exercise choices about the third party advertising networks that provide you with interest-based advertising, please see the opt-out options below. Please note that if you opt-out you may still receive online advertising from us on other websites or applications. However, these advertisements will not be displayed to you based on your interests. Please note that like many other websites, we will also continue to personalize your visits to our website.
- Interest-Based Advertising and Analytics. You can opt-out of network advertising programs that track your activities across multiple websites to deliver personalized advertising content to you. Please visit Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada Opt-Out Page: //youradchoices.ca/understanding-online-advertising, NAI Opt-Out Page //www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp] and the Ad Choices Opt-Out Page //aboutads.info/choices/
- These websites provide tools that identify member companies that have placed cookies on your browser and provides mechanisms to opt-out of those cookies. You will still receive other types of advertising from participating companies; however, it will not be based on your interests. Deleting browser cookies can remove your opt-out preferences, so you should use these tools periodically to ensure that your preferences are up-to-date.
- If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to:
- (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it;
- (ii) disable existing cookies; or
- (iii) set your browser to automatically reject any cookies. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it. You may not disable certain types of cookies that are essential to the operation of our websites and that are considered strictly necessary cookies. For example, we use strictly necessary cookies to allow you to view appropriate elements of our websites, such as regional pricing information.
Who can I contact if I have questions about cookies or interest-based advertising?
Should you have any questions or concerns about our interest-based advertising or our privacy practices, please contact our Privacy Officer by email at ; by telephone at or by mail at . All submissions should be directed to the attention of the Privacy Officer.